Thursday, April 12, 2007

The finish to a wonderful day.

After lots and lots of photos, it was on to the reception. With fun and dancing.
We had a DJ and he was setting up during the time between the ceremony and the reception. Majority of the guests went up to the RSL to enjoy the hours space, a lot just stayed at the reception centre. I must say that the AMBERLEE Receptions is definately the place to have a function. Nick and his staff were just so accomodating. We had a couple of elderley people. My Mum and Bills Dad< They wouldn't have made it if we went to the RSL. So they supplied us all with Tea and Coffee and biscuits. This was definately not part of the costs, but just as an added extra. Then I was asked if they could take out some hot nibble to guests who where trickling back. I said we hadn't paid for the hot nibbles, only pre dinner drin ks. Nick told me he hated wastage and he had quite a lot left over from the night befores wedding and would I mind. Of course I said I have no troubles. They served them and I think everyone had had their fill.

Then came the time for everyone to take their seats. Would you believe 8 people didn't even show up. We paid $65.00 / head for everyone and 8 didn't even show up. How rude. Especially when three of those were people who had rund up to ask if they could bring someone, and then thay didn't show. Any how the night was a big success.

The soup: choice of Pumpkin or Hearty beef and vegetable.
The Main: choice of Roast leg of Lamb or Oven roasted chicken.

There was so much food on each plate, that I don't think anyone could have been hungry.
On each table was: Red and white wine, beer, and soft drink and water. They just kept on refilling and replacing all the bottles as one was finished they would bring in another. Great service.
Then it was time for the formalaties. Boy I was so tired, I am glad that it is up to the Father of the Bride.
Bill got up and spoke quite fluently (after a small hic cup when he forgot what he was saying). He thanked everyone who had to be thanked, welcomed Glenn into out family and said how proud he was of his Little girl.
Then Arthur spoke (Glenn's Dad) he also did a remarkable job.
Then as Glenn would say, it was up to the MAN. Glenn told how he loved Melinda and Her smile and that he was glad she had said yes to him. He thanked everyone, especially William and Judith (yes that it was he said he was going to call Bill and I on the night and He did, He knows how much we hate those names, but we just get on a laugh and always will and he will continue to call us them) and then he spoke of his father who I think got a biger and bigger chest with what Glenn said about his dad was just tear jerking. Then he thanked the wonderful bridesmaids and flower girls and of course his groomsmen. They all looked stunning at that long table. This littlies behave really well.
Stuart then replied and then it was time for the telegrams, they themselves I think make a wedding.
Tony (Groomsman, at Bill and My wedding, 33 years ago,) Proposed a toast to the Parents of the Bride and groom.Thanks Tony you did a great job. He filled in for Jim. (my brother who passed away 6 weeks ago) Jim was always the person who got up and spoke at all our family occassions, He was greatly missed on the night.
After that it was time to cut the cake and the bridal walz. What alovely couple.
After lots and lots of dancing.
THE DESSERTS.
They cought out a buffet of desserts. We had to pick out six - eight desserts for the night. The way the crowd decended I think it was well worth it and well received. I must say, not much left.
Then more dancing, and then it was the Garter and Bouquet throw. Melinda wore my garted I wore at my wedding but we bought a new one for her to wear also and that was the one that was thrown. It bounced of quite a few hands and then finally landed in Colin Houghton's hand,(One of my 2nd cousins) He proudly wore it on his arm for the remainder of the night. Then the bouquet throw. We were quite surprised at how far Melinda threw it. (Melinda has no coordination skills at all). Cindy Herdman jumped, (would have made any footballer proud) and she got the bouquet. Her Mum and Dad I think were saying oh nooooooooo!.
Then it was time for Melinda and Glenn to leave. We formed the circle while all the goodbyes and thankyous were said and they it was through a long tunnel they went out the front door. They were going in the photgraphers car (so noone could get theirs) as they were leaving I said my usual phrase as any of my kids go anywhere (Be good). Melinda's reply, I don't have to anymore I'M MARRIED! I think that said it all. They were going to the Frankston Beach for some night photos by the photographer. If anyone ever needs a photographer, I would have not hesitation in referring JAMES Babone. He was fantastic, well worth his money and went way beyond his duty.
Melinda and Glenn went and stayed at their own home in Cranbourne that night and left early Monday morning for Surfers Paradise.
After everyone left it was time for packing up. The presents(lots of them) the left over cake and then it was taking Mum back to the nursing home and then HOME.
Bill and I were completely and utterly STUFFED. I think it was just the fact that we had had such a busy time before the wedding with a funeral, with preparations, the birth of a new granddaughter and marrying off our daughter along with still working and running our own businesses. We couldn't just take time off and still get paid.

Melinda and Gleen returned home yesterday from QLD and said they had a fantastic time and again thanked Bill and I for all the work and effort into making their wedding day just superb.
And what Bill and I get out of all this,
We see our Daughter smiling and just so happy and in return we are just so happy that all is ok.
Life goes on! The circle of life! I seem to have this in a lot of my bloggs lately.
Bill and I always happy and don't interfere in our kids lives unless there is a need. We always say: IF OUR KIDS ARE HAPPY WE ARE HAPPY, BUT IF THEY AREN'T THEN DON'T GET ON THE WRONG SIDE OF US.
Life: A very long time. You are born and supported by your parents fully until you can get your own things. Then once you are old enough to support yourself, then you are on your own. If you make a wrong decision, you have made your bed then you must lie in it. Get yourself out of trouble, but at all times, we are there to support you mentally and help you mentally. You make your own decisions, whether good or bad, but they are your decisions and can't blame anyone else for them. It you fall we are there for you to help you climb up that ladder again. We will be there to share your good and bad times and know that our love has no boundries. We will love you forever, we may not like what you are doing or have done, but will ALWAYS stand beside you.
Keep smiling and healthy.
l
Judy

2 comments:

Mel Diener said...

Mmmm,that menu sounds delish!!!

Isn't it so annoying when people rsvp yes and then don't show. Surely they realise how expensive wedding catering is???

Laura said...

Sounds terrific Judy, what a wonderful night. The reception centre is fabulous, we got married there when it was called Casablanca it was great then too :)
I love your philosophies on life, especially the way in which you have brought up your kids, you and Bill should be very proud :)
See you tomorrow night...
Laura